Saturday, August 16, 2008

Cooking Experience @ Lafite, 2008 - by Chef Damen Campbell

16.08.08

The date is set...and companion found. Too bad neither Kristy or Joe can join me, otherwise, I believe I'll have better photos to show... :)

It all started with a flyer from BMW White Card, telling us about this Cooking Class...an experience to cook in the Main Kitchen of Lafite....lead by Chef Damon Campbell, a award-winning chef from Canada. The cooking class will end with a 5-course dinner at Lafite itself...every dishes will come with wine pairing...slurp!! And all for RM250????

Its not a joke....its really just RM250...

Well, so, I've been looking forward to this since July....this is the birthday gift that I've bought for myself....and

the wait is worth it....
the costs? Worth every penny......in fact, with the impeccable service....i think its money well spent!

The whole experience starts at 4.30pm....

I drove up to the lobby of Shangri-la Hotel, flash daddy's BMW Whitecard, and voila......free valet parking......hop off the car, and immediately, I'm greeted by two lovely ladies, asking whether I'm there for the Cooking Experience....

I'm ushered to the registration counter, given my "recipes" fo the cooking class....and immediately, I was rushed off into the kitchen....where I was literrally being "dressed" by the staff.....all buttoned up in a "uniform"!!!! With apron and my own dish rag and all.....kekek

The Cooking Experience ("CE")....was mainly attended by ....erm....people that I should respect...erm...ok...people who are my seniors? Most participants are probably my parents' age...mainly couples...or ladies of leisure that came with their bosom buddies...

My partner...mr JS, decided to come late.....else, he will be the youngest chap around!!

They started the CE with food tasting. I was asked to try a "bubble"........


(Lobster bisque, wrapped in a bubble)

This is not new, but very interesting indeed. The "bubble" is actually a thin membrane of the lobster bisque, wrapping the soup within.....later in the cooking class, Chef Damon showed us how they created the "bubble" .....and it shows that cooking, aside being a form of art, it is also a science of sort! The formation of the membrane that created the "bubble" is actually a chemical reaction between Argan solution (something derived from seaweed) and Calcium Salt (not sure if we can get it at any regular store) ......


The wobbly lobster bisque bubble, is to be slide into your mouth....gently....and depending on your preference....you can let it "pop" in your mouth....or let it slide up to your throat and it will burst and feel the Oomph within? Personally, i like it popped in my mouth...there's where my taste bud is...i can actually taste the bisque....but if you in for the sensation of soup washing down your throat, i supposed the later option will be more fun...

Next, I'm passed a packet....with what the kitchen staff called "The Inside out Pizza"
The pizza is made with bacon pieces, cheese and herbs, wrapped in cotton candy which was later coated with pizza seasoning. Nothing special , you say? Well, imagine biting into crunchy and soft sugary fluff, seasoned with savoury seasoning...and upon chewing, poof! You feel the Oomph! of the PIZZA in your mouth....






(Inside out Pizza)


Oysters Pearls....(alright, tis is not exactly what they called it, but I didn't get the name). It is actually oysters that was pureed, chucked into liquid nitrogen to freeze everything in nano-seconds.....and ooh-la-la...you have lil pearls of oysters...
The oysters pearls was served on Oyster shell, a top of river stone and some leafy stuff that looks like seaweed

(Chef Damon, explaining to us how the Nitro Oyster is made...)

To quench our thirst, they have prepared some cocktail : Passionfruit with Whisky Foam?
(I didn't get the name of the cocktail, partly due to being mesmerised by the handsome chef..). It was prepared by stuffing a bunch of cotton candy in the cocktail glass.....pouring carbonated passionfruit puree, and topped by a foam of passionfruit mixed with whiskey..

(Video on how they prepare the passionfruit cocktail.....)

Part 2 ---to be continued....

1 Comments:

Blogger "Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wahhhhh i would have loved too..but i had class...and a crap n boring 1 toooo....

August 17, 2008 at 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home