Cold winter night
Touched down last night and checked in at the hotel at 11pm
Love this place, efficient check in , courteous and friendly service, comfy bed and spacious room
Despite all the comforts offered, I woked up with a mild headache
Which was made worse, with a strong cup of Illy at the breakfast table
Barely make it through the day, with the throbbing heading pounding
Survived lunch with my HK counterparts, though I suspect I spaced out for a moment or two
Came back from work, took an Actifast, grabbed dinner and head back to the room
Watched a movie called Demi-Haunted, a Hong Kong production about Ghosts, Chinese Opera, and the afterlife, a ghost with unfinished business.....
For some reason , the movie brought back memories of an old Chinese folklore that my mom used to tell me and my sisters. Why my mom tell us such stories, I have no idea......but I am glad she did.
It was a story about a father. I can't remember the details (I probably should ask my mom about it), but its about the father and his family. The setting put them in a condition where they are poor, the father is the only breadwinner. Father went out to hunt/run his business etc, but met with an horrible accident/mishap that took his life. Before the Guards of Hell take him, he begged for them to let him take care of his family until they are ok to live on their own. They gave him a timeline (i don't remember how long).
He went back, pale and cold - as a ghost, but appear to be human to his family. Each day, he grew paler, less human...but he do what he can for his family. But time is running short and eventually, the time for him to go has come. The whole time, his children were taught of skills that he can passed on to them, but it was not enough....and soon, the Guards of Hell are at his doorsteps.
He say his last goodbye to his sons in the middle of the night, before being taken to face what that may come, when he see the Jade Emperor. What we would have call in modern world, the Judgement Day.
I can't remember what comes out of it, but I remember it being a story of sacrificial love of a parent for his/her children (honestly ,I don't even remember if it was a father or mother that was supposed to be the ghost). I don't know what happen to the children after that....for some reason, my memory is so vague and I can't seems to recall much about this story.
But the feeling...the feeling of lost love, unrequited love, sacrificial love stays with me. Some may call this folklore, pagan tales....but if you look beyond the story and understand what it is supposed to teach you - its beautiful, despite the tragic ending. It is a story of Till Death Do Us Part, a promise of a love one to take care of those that he had loved.....
And I wonder....if such love (minus the tragic ending, of course) still exist these days ?
Love this place, efficient check in , courteous and friendly service, comfy bed and spacious room
Despite all the comforts offered, I woked up with a mild headache
Which was made worse, with a strong cup of Illy at the breakfast table
Barely make it through the day, with the throbbing heading pounding
Survived lunch with my HK counterparts, though I suspect I spaced out for a moment or two
Came back from work, took an Actifast, grabbed dinner and head back to the room
Watched a movie called Demi-Haunted, a Hong Kong production about Ghosts, Chinese Opera, and the afterlife, a ghost with unfinished business.....
For some reason , the movie brought back memories of an old Chinese folklore that my mom used to tell me and my sisters. Why my mom tell us such stories, I have no idea......but I am glad she did.
It was a story about a father. I can't remember the details (I probably should ask my mom about it), but its about the father and his family. The setting put them in a condition where they are poor, the father is the only breadwinner. Father went out to hunt/run his business etc, but met with an horrible accident/mishap that took his life. Before the Guards of Hell take him, he begged for them to let him take care of his family until they are ok to live on their own. They gave him a timeline (i don't remember how long).
He went back, pale and cold - as a ghost, but appear to be human to his family. Each day, he grew paler, less human...but he do what he can for his family. But time is running short and eventually, the time for him to go has come. The whole time, his children were taught of skills that he can passed on to them, but it was not enough....and soon, the Guards of Hell are at his doorsteps.
He say his last goodbye to his sons in the middle of the night, before being taken to face what that may come, when he see the Jade Emperor. What we would have call in modern world, the Judgement Day.
I can't remember what comes out of it, but I remember it being a story of sacrificial love of a parent for his/her children (honestly ,I don't even remember if it was a father or mother that was supposed to be the ghost). I don't know what happen to the children after that....for some reason, my memory is so vague and I can't seems to recall much about this story.
But the feeling...the feeling of lost love, unrequited love, sacrificial love stays with me. Some may call this folklore, pagan tales....but if you look beyond the story and understand what it is supposed to teach you - its beautiful, despite the tragic ending. It is a story of Till Death Do Us Part, a promise of a love one to take care of those that he had loved.....
And I wonder....if such love (minus the tragic ending, of course) still exist these days ?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home