HAKKA SOUL - Memories, Migrations, and Meals
Just like shopping for shoes, I like to browse around bookstores. Since I got hold of my first Ladybird storybook, I'm hook on reading. I remember my first book is Bambi, it the hardcover Ladybird prints. Unlike most kids, who started their English education with books about Peter and Jane (also from Ladybird too), mine started in a Jesus Caritas Catholic Church Kindergarten, where we learn our words and numbers. One thing that I remembered clearly, is the library, where they keep lots of colourful storybooks, with pictures of fairies and enchanted forest, princesses and princes...and boy, was I enchanted then!
Ya...so that's the beginning of my addiction to books. My dad used to come home early on Saturday afternoon, and we'll have lunch at home before heading out for our weekly shopping trip. Without fail, I'll insist we stop at a bookstores. One way or another, I'll play my trump card, wail, beg and reason with my parent, that I need one more storybook!
Sigh...those were the days........sweet memories.One day, I'll write down those sweet memories of my reading habit.
Well, getting back to visiting bookstores, I was looking for a book by Farish A.Noor, a gift for a friend. Before this, I've never heard of Farish A.Noor....because, I don't read MalaysiaKini....The Star paper is good enough for me. Ya, so I'm browsing the Malaysiana section in the makeshift Time Bookstore at Hartamas Shopping Center, when I saw this book called " HAKKA SOUL - Memories, Migrations, and Meals", by Chin Woon Ping.
It look interesting too me, being a Hakka myself...I'm really curious to know, what's another Hakka's life and story is about. It should give me a glimpse of what and how the Hakka Clan come about. All these years, I never bothered to find out.....I just took it for granted, when the time comes, I'll just popped over to China to the land where my paternal grandparents came from, and also my maternal side too, to check out our family genealogy, which was still kept in a traditional book, stating the family trees of our clan(ok...they usually keep records of the man in the family only, I'm not too sure about the girls).
I'm intrigue, by the book and the author herself. Its such a dry topic....to talk about Hakka people and their customs. How many people in this world would want to learn about this? The author, Chin Woon Ping must be one proud woman...someone who's proud of her customs, beliefs and traditions.
And through the book, I want to try to see and look for familiarity in the way my grandparents do things, how my ma and pa thinks (they have their own Hakka way), and how my Tai Yee (Eldest Aunty from my mom side) turn out to be such a matriarch in Mom's family. Most of all, I want to know more about my people....
Understanding about the current political sentiments may be too much for my mind, but I'm totally capable of understanding my heritage.
: )
Will update on the book as I read.
Ya...so that's the beginning of my addiction to books. My dad used to come home early on Saturday afternoon, and we'll have lunch at home before heading out for our weekly shopping trip. Without fail, I'll insist we stop at a bookstores. One way or another, I'll play my trump card, wail, beg and reason with my parent, that I need one more storybook!
Sigh...those were the days........sweet memories.One day, I'll write down those sweet memories of my reading habit.
Well, getting back to visiting bookstores, I was looking for a book by Farish A.Noor, a gift for a friend. Before this, I've never heard of Farish A.Noor....because, I don't read MalaysiaKini....The Star paper is good enough for me. Ya, so I'm browsing the Malaysiana section in the makeshift Time Bookstore at Hartamas Shopping Center, when I saw this book called " HAKKA SOUL - Memories, Migrations, and Meals", by Chin Woon Ping.
It look interesting too me, being a Hakka myself...I'm really curious to know, what's another Hakka's life and story is about. It should give me a glimpse of what and how the Hakka Clan come about. All these years, I never bothered to find out.....I just took it for granted, when the time comes, I'll just popped over to China to the land where my paternal grandparents came from, and also my maternal side too, to check out our family genealogy, which was still kept in a traditional book, stating the family trees of our clan(ok...they usually keep records of the man in the family only, I'm not too sure about the girls).
I'm intrigue, by the book and the author herself. Its such a dry topic....to talk about Hakka people and their customs. How many people in this world would want to learn about this? The author, Chin Woon Ping must be one proud woman...someone who's proud of her customs, beliefs and traditions.
And through the book, I want to try to see and look for familiarity in the way my grandparents do things, how my ma and pa thinks (they have their own Hakka way), and how my Tai Yee (Eldest Aunty from my mom side) turn out to be such a matriarch in Mom's family. Most of all, I want to know more about my people....
Understanding about the current political sentiments may be too much for my mind, but I'm totally capable of understanding my heritage.
: )
Will update on the book as I read.
Labels: Book Review

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home