Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Wandering mind....I'm ranting about everything that comes into my mind....

I like to think. My grandma says that it shows in my palm....because there's many lines on it.
I don't really like my palms...because its not soft and smooth....you can feel the lines in it....and I don't have lady-like fingers...where its long and pointy...nice nails and all. I'm born with a typical stubby and thick palm...typical Hakka palm..or so my late-maternal grandma says...

Why the association with the Hakka-ness in me? Because I recently read this book ...I've mentioned it somewhere in my blog (Hakka Soul), and I began to understand that the quirkiness in me are normal...because I'm a 100% Hakka....:P

Hakka girls are known to be loud, resourceful, hardworking, and independent....and I think I have all the characteristics. I hate to ask for help.....especially if I think I can get the job done....I think its a pride thingy....and Shane Tan is right when I ask him how come all guys become my buddy instead of bf : He say I should be more like one of our friend....maybe that'll help.

Hahahaa....well, I just can't bring myself to be manja and as much as I enjoyed being treated like a lady, the independent part of me....feel useless when I'm being too taken care of!! Anyway, there's another episode where I discussed with Shane Tan on how "trust" plays an important factor, for someone (in this case, I'm talking about myself) to be able to feel secure enuff to be taken care by another person.....and its also a matter of whether you want to or not (yeah, so Sha-ne, if you read this, count yourself lucky that elaine let you take care of stuff at home, k! Nyek nyek)

Its that time of the year, where you'll want to take stock of what happened in 2008 and what you want in 2009....

2008 is a year of change for me....within a year, I've left a job that I love...because it has taken a toll on my family, my health and my sanity......for a job, that I think I can learn to love, but failed to do so....and in the end, I chosed to work in a different country and have a try at "growing up" on my own....

It was scary up to a point, I had to admit it.....I'm a human afterall. The first day I touched down in Adelaide...the cab dropped me off at the wrong apartments, and I stand outside the entrance of an apartment door that I can't open. Its only when 2 old couple who are enjoying their brekkie in the balcony pointed me to the right apartment block, that I found the serviced apartment's lobbly. It was only then that it struck me......this is a strange and foreign place.....i have no one (literally, because I don't have Shane Tan/Elaine's mobile no. then).....there's really no one to call for help if the cabby really dropped me off at the wrong place....

Of course, I didn't panic.....just feel a bit lost...and frustrated..because I have to drag 2 luggage (1 big one and 1 cabin luggage) to the right serviced apartment.....only to be greeted by a intercom button, because its freaking 8 am in the morning, and no one is on duty at the reception. Greeted by a grouchy attendant, that asked for my name after she finished lecturing me for not reading my booking confirmation letter properly......and guided me on how to retrieve my room key, before she finally grunted - "Your apartment is at level 2, room 32...."

That's the WELCOME I get upon arrival.....sigh! Tough luck huh????

What can I say? NO one asked me to move to Adelaide...no one asked me to leave my job in KL.......no one asked me to leave my family and friends in KL......I asked for this, didn't I??? Sometimes, I think I'm just too smart for my own liking.......




(Pic from Phil Sharp)

Yea...so as you can see, once again, I've wandered off topic..........

Did I mentioned in any other post that when I met a friend from KL...I'm so overjoyed that I feel like crying??? But of course I didn't cry la...i was totally cool about it............like Nic Ling, I think I'm too "macho" to cry...kekeke...plus, my friend is bringing me out for nice dinner ....i should be happy instead of crying rite??? Why ruin the mood of a nice outing ?

Well, my friend, who calls himself G for short, is a very stylo ex-colleague of mine, who happens to be in Adelaide. And its really good to catch up with him.....on how's life been so far....or did we just chat a bout life in general? Anyway, G is really the best person to enjoy a meal with.......because he always know what to order, what's good.....and you can just sit there and listen to him explain to you why the food is as such, why is it good, aiya...i dunno how to explain...you just want to sit there and listen la....coz he got a voice that makes you want to listen (don't get me wrong, its really smooth and sound great to the ears), and then hor......he speaks really good English....up to the extend, that he has to intentionally speak like a Malaysian, just to prove that he can speak like a Malaysian (though me and HY thinks he sounds more like Puah Chu Kang when he does that....kakakaka).

And when in Adelaide....its so easy to bond over food, because food is just everywhere!

G brought me to Wasai at Field St (one of the lanes off Gouger St), a small and cozy Japanese restaurant. I've been there with Shane and Elaine, but I've ordered something really fool-proof = Chicken Katsu Don, so I've nothing to comment on that...because i think i had better katsu don in the past 26 years.

So, I let G order....because honestly, i dunno what to order and I don't want another Katsu don.....and that's when I tasted one of the nicer Soba Salad that i've tried (in KL, HK, and S'pore) . Its very appetizing....and the sauce is just superb. Shane, Elaine, Sue Ann and I went to Wasai the Friday before we are bound to fly back to Kuala Lumpur for Christmas break, and I ordered that again...on top of a Unagi Don (its called something else on the menu...i dun remember what it is). Unagi Don + Soba Salad....haih, i'm so full that I make myself vacumm the whole townhouse and pack my luggage till 2 am...before I dare to sleep.

Ok, back to dinner at Wasai with G. Aside from the Soba Salad, we had a platter of assorted sushi...very nice! I'm not a fan of raw food...so sashimi is not something I'll order, but then I'm always game to try..... plus, I did tell G to order and I'll eat whatever he ordered.....I can't go back on my words!! Well, God is usually very kind on me....coz I ended up enjoying eating the sushi plus the raw stuff on top of it!

*disrespect to raw food*

Ok..the raw stuff consist of....err...i think there's ebi , scallop, and etc....can't remember. IF you want to know, just visit the restaurant, and order the assorted sushi platter.....

Sorry, no pics.....a bit shy to snap photos in front of G.....plus, I'm not a food blogger, so its not really my job to snap photos and post and blog about it. I just like food....and love to try and enjoy dining with good company, though I've recently developed a liking of dining alone (yea rite....!)

We have a platter of tempura, and i think that's it.

Not sure how much is dinner, coz G insist that he'll pay for dinner...and I offered to pay for coffee and dessert later.

NExt, G took me to Cibo, South Australia's equivalent to Starbucks....only its much better, with more choices of dessert and food. They have arrays of sandwiches, pastries, cakes and ...gelatos!!! Scoot over Starbucks....you are not required in Adelaide...nyek nyek...

And then hor....G say I should sit down at the table, so we can have a table-la....and he'll get dessert and coffee. I only have to tell him what coffee I want....and of course I happily sat like a dungu, reading the menu....and totally forgot that I say I'll pay for coffee and dessert!!!!!


Oops! I fink I ate the whole thing! - 271
Originally uploaded by RoxandaBear

I feel exactly like the Panda........and am totally ashamed of myself.....like the beagle below :


But there's always next time...rite??? Kekekek.....until the next entry on lunch with G.

Btw, at CIbo, G intro me to this gelato....taste like hazelnut to me....very similar to one of the flavour that Lecka Lecka sells, only Cibo's taste much creamier! G says it taste like Ferraro Rocher's to him..or did he say that its called Ferraro Rocher?

Next we had Apricot Cheesecake....the toppings on the cheesecake is like the tiramisu's topping you get from Alexis Bistro/Su Chan's Deli, but I have to say, the texture of the cheesecake has the perfect consistency (compared to those that I've tried in Malaysia). Usually, its either toooooo cheesy and thick, or its too fluffy/spongy (i.e more flour than cream cheese)......

If only I wasn't too full from the dinner at Wasai...I would have eaten the whole thingy........feel like I wasted so much food! But then, I can't afford to eat anymore.....it takes more effort to lose the extra fats, hence I rather let the food go to waste......Sorry G, wasted your money....

Speaking of the Apricot Cheesecake.....I bought a slice of the cake (there's CIBO outled, just opposite my office) when I'm really down at work. And that definitely cheer me up a lot!!....



*side track a bit *

If I'm to tell someone about all of the above....my mouth will be so tired from ranting...........

*back to the CIBO*

I've just finished talking about the dessert at CIBO.....there's still the coffee......
I'm not a coffee junkie, but since I've arrived in Adelaide, I took an average of 1-2 cups of coffee per day. Most of the time, i'll stick with Cafe Mocha....coz I can't really stand too much coffee....but then when I need a perk-me-up, its a long black....... like black without milk (but with sugar of course).

The coffee is just....terribly good. Of course, I can't say that its the best, since I'm no expert on Coffee....but I'm a satisfied customer! That's all I've gotta say......

The other coffee place that I kinda like in Adelaide is Ricca Coffee at Thebarton. Its near my client's office....and its surprising good!

Btw, a nice cuppa of coffee only cost AUD3.50 - AUD6.00 depending on the size of the coffee that you order....so its relatively cheap compared to coffee from Starbucks/Coffeebean back home!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home